Student Code of Conduct
This is the current version of this document. You can provide feedback on this policy to the document author - refer to the Status and Details on the pale grey navigation bar above.
Section 1 - Preamble
(1) This Policy was approved by the Vice-Chancellor on 8 January 2015.
Section 2 - Purpose
(2) To set out the standards of responsible and ethical behaviour and conduct expected of all students of the University.
Section 3 - Scope
(3) This Policy applies to all students of the University.
Section 4 - Policy
(4) Students must:
- undertake their academic work with integrity and honesty, avoiding plagiarism, collusion and breaches of copyright
- comply with all relevant University policies and with any codes of conduct and practice that apply at the course, professional or research level
- adhere to the policies, procedures and rules of external organisations while on placement, practicum, work experience, fieldwork or educational exchange
- provide accurate personal details to the University; keep those details up to date; and read and respond where necessary to all official Deakin correspondence including email
- work cooperatively and collaboratively with other students, staff, associates and University partners
- communicate with courtesy and consideration, verbally and in writing, in person and online (including through email and social media)
- respect the privacy of other students and staff
- respect others' rights to their own opinions and beliefs, and engage only in rational discussion where there is disagreement
- refrain from actions, behaviour and words (both written and spoken) that may jeopardise their own or another student or staff member's health, safety or wellbeing, or may damage their reputation or career
- not engage in discrimination, harassment, victimisation or bullying
- not engage or collude in fraudulent or corrupt behaviour
- only use University property, facilities and resources (including information and communications technology) responsibly, in accordance with relevant policies and considering others' needs
- follow reasonable directions from University staff.
(5) The Student Academic Misconduct Procedure or the Student General Misconduct Procedure may apply if students do not comply with this Policy.
Section 5 - Procedure
(6) There is no attendant procedure.
Section 6 - Definitions
(7) For the purpose of this Policy:
- Associates: contractors, consultants, volunteers, visiting appointees and visitors to the University.
- Staff: members of the academic or general staff, or persons holding Honorary or conjoint appointments.
- Student: (i) a person enrolled in a course or unit in the University; (ii) a student of another higher education institution to whom the University grants rights of access to University premises and facilities; (iii) a candidate for an award of the University whose work has been examined or assessed but on whom the award has not been conferred; (iv) a person who is on leave of absence from or who has deferred enrolment in a unit or course of the University.