(1) This Policy was approved by the Vice-Chancellor on 12 November 2012 and includes all amendments to 27 October 2014.
(2) To provide a framework for responding to concerns and resolving complaints made by students, in a way that contributes to a supportive and fair learning environment.
(3) The Student Complaints Resolution Procedure outlines the steps required to comply with this Policy.
(4) This applies to concerns and complaints by current, former or prospective students in relation to:
(5) Matters covered by another University policy (including reviews of grades and special consideration) are dealt with in accordance with that Policy.
(6) The University recognises a student's right to express legitimate concerns and complaints and is committed to responding in ways that contribute to a supportive and fair learning environment.
(7) The University aims to maintain a student complaints resolution process that:
(8) The University expects that all parties involved in a complaint will engage in good faith with the complaints resolution process.
(9) The University does not tolerate victimisation and may take action against a student or staff member who is found to have victimised another student or staff member for their participation in (or association with) alleging, making, supporting or resolving a complaint.
(10) Any student who uses the student complaints resolution process to make a frivolous or vexatious complaint or who lies or deliberately misleads in relation to a complaint may be subject to disciplinary proceedings.
(11) The University retains the right and the power to decline to investigate a complaint, particularly where another process is more appropriate or where there is insufficient nexus with the University.
(12) Where applicable, the student may make a Protected Disclosure about the conduct of the University or a University employee or contractor, directly to the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC).
(13) The Manager, Student Complaints and Appeals is responsible for:
(14) Designated complaints contacts in Faculties, Institutes and other areas of the University are responsible for:
(15) Refer to the Student Complaints Resolution Procedure.
(16) For the purpose of this Policy: