(1) This Policy was approved by the Vice-Chancellor on 30 May 2013
(2) To ensure the University is compliant with its obligations under copyright law and that its copyright is protected.
(3) The Copyright Procedure documents how to comply with this Policy.
(4) This Policy applies to all staff, students and associates of the University.
(5) The University as both an owner of copyright and a user of material protected by copyright shall use its best endeavours to ensure that its rights as an owner of copyright are appropriately protected and managed and that the rights of others are not infringed.
(6) The University forbids the use of its computing and communications facilities for any purpose that would breach copyright.
(7) The use of University equipment to download, copy, compress, store, transfer or redistribute copyright music and film from commercial music and film storage devices in any format (CD, DVD, mp3, mp4, etc.) without the permission of the copyright owner or ability to rely on the licence agreements as outlined at the Copyright at Deakin website, is forbidden.
(8) A breach of the University's legislative and regulatory obligations pertaining to copyright by a staff member or student will be reported centrally according to the Compliance Management Procedure. Such breaches will be investigated and might lead to internal disciplinary proceedings.
(9) The University may with the approval of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education) enter into agreements with respect to the University's copyright assets.
(10) The University shall have in place documented procedures that give effect to this Policy.
(11) Refer to the Copyright Procedure.
(12) There are no definitions arising under this policy.