(1) This Policy was approved by the Vice-Chancellor on 9 March, 2014.
(2) To facilitate and promote a smoke and tobacco free environment for the health and wellbeing of all at the University.
(3) This Policy applies to all University staff, students and associates of the University.
(4) In recognition of the public health evidence of the social costs associated with smoking, the University provides a smoke and tobacco free environment for its staff, students and associates.
(5) By eliminating environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) exposure, the University affirms its commitment to the health, safety and wellbeing of all staff, associates and students in its learning environment.
(6) Smoking is prohibited on all University property.
(7) All University property must be free from the sale of tobacco, its advertising, promotion and sponsorship.
(8) In accordance with the External Relationships Policy, the University must not accept direct or indirect funding from or enter into any partnership or other arrangement with the tobacco industry, an organisation in the tobacco industry or from a foundation that accepts funds from the tobacco industry.
(9) University employees are not permitted to take smoking breaks on or in University property. Any breaks in working time will be in accordance with the University's Enterprise Agreement.
(10) The University will provide short-term individual support for staff and students who wish to quit smoking, which may include counselling, educational material and referrals to other organisations.
(11) All student residence areas on University campuses are exempt from this Policy as these areas will have their own procedures to align with University living arrangements.
(12) This Policy shall be communicated to all faculties, institutes and other areas with information made available to commencing students. Signage shall be posted at points of entry to University campuses outlining the smoke-free environment. No ashtrays will be provided at any location on campus.
(13) There is no attendant procedure.
(14) For the purpose of this Policy: