Environmental Sustainability Policy
This is the current version of this document. You can provide feedback on this policy to the document author - refer to the Status and Details on the pale grey navigation bar above.
Section 1 - Preamble
(1) This Policy was approved by Council on 16 April 2009 and incorporates all amendments to 8 December 2011.
(2) The law governing environmental sustainability at Deakin University includes both the common law and legislation, in particular:
- Environment Protection Act 1970 (Vic)
- National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Act 2007 (Cth)
- Water Act 1989 (Vic)
- Water Industry Act 1994 (Vic)
Section 2 - Purpose
(3) To document the university's commitment to principles of environmental sustainability.
Section 3 - Scope
(4) The policy applies across the university.
Section 4 - Policy
(5) The University recognises the need to move towards an environmentally sustainable future and is committed to improving its policies and actions in this respect.
(6) So far as possible the University will integrate environmental sustainability principles into all of its operations, strategies, plans, policies, activities and the curriculum.
(7) The University will strive to reduce the environmental footprint resulting from its operations by:
- reducing consumption of energy, water and paper
- minimising waste generation by encouraging recycling and the use of recycled products and materials
- reducing discharges to the environment
- incorporating principles of environmental sustainability into the design, construction, refurbishment and operation of its buildings, plant and grounds.
(8) The University will develop and maintain an environmental plan and an Environmental Management System (EMS) to:
- ensure that environmental sustainability principles are integrated into all University operations
- ensure that the University meets, and where possible exceeds, legal and any other performance standards
- identify the University's environmental impacts and establish objectives and programs to minimise these impacts
- enable audits and reviews to monitor and facilitate continuous quality improvement of the University's environmental performance to be carried out
- enable regular reporting on the University's environmental performance.
(9) The University will further promote responsible environmental management and sustainability through:
- communities of interest
- partners, contracts and the supply chain
- curriculum development and teaching leadership.
Section 5 - Procedure
(10) There is no attendant procedure.
Section 6 - Definitions
(11) There are no definitions arising under this policy.