View Current

Travel procedure

This is the current version of this document. To view historic versions, click the link in the document's navigation bar.

Section 1 - Preamble

(1) This Procedure is effective from 14 December 2020.

Top of Page

Section 2 - Purpose

(2) This Procedure provides instructions regarding Deakin University travel to facilitate compliance with Travel policy requirements.

Top of Page

Section 3 - Scope

(3) This Procedure applies to anyone who undertakes travel on behalf of the University, as part of official University business or an approved University program or in connection with official University activities, regardless of the source of funds (including where travel is funded personally or by an external organisation) or duration of travel. This Procedure includes travel by students where they are travelling with the approval of the University in connection with University programs and activities.

Top of Page

Section 4 - Policy

(4) This Procedure is pursuant to the Travel policy.

Top of Page

Section 5 - Procedure

Preparing to travel domestically

(5) For domestic travel the University traveller must submit a travel request via the Travel Request Form.

(6) For intercampus travel of 5 nights or less that does not meet the exceptions in the Travel policy the University traveller must submit a travel itinerary, a request to travel and obtain approval to travel in writing (all via email) at a local level within their Faculty or Portfolio.

(7) Insurance cover for domestic travel is not required under the Deakin Travel Insurance program.

(8) Once a University traveller has been granted approval by a Travel Approver, the University traveller must make a booking through the University's web-based Online Booking Tool or the approved Travel Consultant.

(9) Accommodation must wherever possible be booked through the approved Travel Consultant using available corporate rates as outlined on the Travel Intranet.

Preparing to travel internationally

(10) The University traveller must:

  1. check International SOS for information concerning the scheduled destination(s) before requesting approval for the travel. Travel is not permitted to locations that are subject to a Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) Level 4 'Do Not Travel' warning and IntlSOS equivalent Level 5 warning without the approval of the Chief Operating Officer (approval requests should be made in writing through; and
  2. submit a travel request setting out the proposed itinerary, email address, mobile phone number, purpose of travel, benefit to the University, expenses, any private travel and travel risk profile via the Travel Request Form.

(11) Staff that have been granted approval by a Travel Approver, must then make a booking through Deakin's web-based Online Booking Tool (for simple international travel only) or the approved Travel Consultant.

(12) In the case of students, the University traveller must complete their travel itinerary, request to travel and approval to travel with their Faculty, Research area and Deakin Abroad (Terra Dotta) prior to booking any travel. Students must also comply with requirements that apply to Student International Programs and Placements.

(13) Students (funded in whole or in part by the University) that have been granted approval by a Travel Approver, must then make a booking through the Deakin's web-based Online Booking Tool (for simple international travel only) or the approved Travel Consultant or with another travel management consultant.

(14) Students (funded in whole by themselves) who have been granted approval by a Travel Approver, may then make a booking through Deakin's web-based Online Booking Tool (for simple international travel only) or the approved Travel Consultant or with another travel management consultant.

(15) The Faculty must record all student travel details regardless of how that travel has been funded. All student travel records must be provided to the Global Mobility Office.

(16) University travellers must register their travel details on the International SOS prior to their travel commencing.

(17) Women and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer/Questioning (LGBTIQ+) travellers must familiarise themselves with their destination(s) and be aware of any behaviour that puts them at risk, or may offend or break the law and should check International SOS and DFAT prior to travel. See Travel Guidelines for more information.

(18) University travellers who hold a sex and gender diverse passport should be aware that while Australian travel documents are issued in accordance with international standards, those travelling on a passport showing ‘X’ in the ‘sex’ field may encounter difficulties when crossing international borders given these passports are not commonly used. Prior to travel these University travellers should contact the Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate most appropriate for their destination, who will be able to provide further information.

(19) Accommodation must be booked using corporate rates where available (see Travel Intranet) and all other accommodation must be booked through the approved Travel Consultant.

(20) Shared accommodation services and hostels require travellers to carry out appropriate due diligence before departure and/or on arrival. This includes providing a copy of the property’s Public Liability Insurance for fee paying guests, evidencing that the property provides a safe and secure environment and is in a safe neighbourhood and the property gives the traveller the opportunity for a private environment. Travellers should use International SOS as a source of information for safety concerns either via the website or calling the Assistance Centre (02) 9372 2468. Refer to Travel Intranet and Travel Guidelines.

(21) Airbnb may only be used if the Traveller is travelling to certain listed countries that have access to the Host Insurance program and that the traveller has undertaken their own due diligence as per clause 20 to ensure that the property is safe, the hosts are trustworthy and that there is coverage under the Host Insurance program. Any accommodation in clause 20 and 21 must be approved prior to departure.

(22) To ensure coverage by the University’s Travel Insurance policy, University travellers must have their approved travel recorded in the Travel Approval System (TAS) and on International SOS. University travellers must make themselves aware of the requirements of the University's Travel Insurance and the exclusions therein. Details on the policy requirements are available on the Insurance for Staff and the Insurance for Students websites.

(23) Before making travel bookings, the University traveller must ensure that they have a valid passport and appropriate visas (if applicable) for their period of travel. The Approved Travel Consultant can assist with visa applications.

(24) The University traveller will arrange and have administered any required immunisations. The cost of these immunisations will be met by the University if there is a necessity to have an immunisation for approved travel.

(25) Prior to travel the University traveller will ensure that they understand the Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) implications of their travel and required documentation. University travellers should refer to the Taxation policy, and/or consult the Taxation and Treasury Manager.

Pre-travel approval

(26) University travellers should familiarise themselves with laws and cultural sensitivities of destinations they are travelling to.

(27) University travellers should disclose health conditions and disabilities that may impact upon their fitness to travel and to undertake work in their travel destinations in order that the University can make the reasonable adjustment(s) in accordance with the Making Reasonable Adjustments for a Member of the University with a Disability or Health Condition procedure.

(28) Where a University traveller has disclosed to the University (through their manager or the Disability Resource Centre) a condition that may impact upon fitness to travel, the University may require the University traveller to obtain a medical certificate evidencing fitness before the travel will be approved. The University will be satisfied that the University traveller is fit if so certified by a medical or allied health professional.

(29) If a University traveller has a pre-existing medical condition and does not disclose this condition or produce a medical certificate then this may impact coverage under the University’s Travel Insurance. The University traveller should make contact with the Insurance Office to ensure coverage is available in these circumstances.

(30) Prior to approving travel, Travel Approvers must ensure that:

  1. the travel is for official University business
  2. the travel is not to an area, region or country designated by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or International SOS as a 'Do Not Travel' area, unless approved by the Chief Operating Officer in accordance with the Travel policy
  3. the absence does not unreasonably inconvenience the Faculty or Portfolio of the University
  4. the costs to the University are minimised
  5. there is not a more cost-effective way of conducting the business (such as videoconferencing, carpooling, etc.)
  6. all relevant costs and travel information including itinerary details have been entered in TAS for staff and in Terra Dotta for students
  7. all relevant information has been recorded such as the reason for the travel, personal days included, staff travelling with family members, contact details while away, next of kin contact in case of emergency.

Changes to intinerary and cancellations

(31) The University traveller must advise the approved Travel Consultant and the Travel Approver of proposed changes or cancellations to the approved travel or if the University traveller does not intend to use an issued ticket.

(32) If any changes to an itinerary occur, the University traveller must update these details in the TAS.

(33) Changes to a travel itinerary must be documented (in the TAS or in writing) and wherever possible be approved by a Travel Approver prior to travel.

When travelling

(34) University travellers must regularly check the International SOS for travel advisories and warnings. If uncertain about an advisory or warning, the University traveller should contact International SOS, the approved Travel Consultant, and/or an in-country Australian consulate (refer Travel Intranet for details) or the Travel Officer for guidance.

(35) In the event that a critical incident occurs or a DFAT or International SOS warning is issued that directly affects the University traveller or their travel plans, then:

  1. if international travel has been booked through the approved Travel Consultant and the International SOS incident level reaches Level 4 or 5 or the DFAT warning is upgraded to Level 3 or 4, the University traveller will automatically receive an email and SMS alert advising of the incident or warning that will ask the traveller to confirm their safety.
  2. at the earliest opportunity the University traveller is required to respond to any incident or warning email or SMS indicating their situation. A copy of the reply must also be provided to the Travel Officer or the Global Mobility Office as applicable.
  3. if the University traveller becomes ill, experiences property loss or theft, bodily injury or is in need of medical attention then the traveller or nominee should contact Deakin's medical and travel security assistance provider, International SOS. After making contact with International SOS the information associated with that contact should also be provided to the Insurance Office and also the Travel Officer or the Global Mobility Office as applicable.
  4. in the event that the University traveller is a student the traveller should refer to the Deakin Insurance for Students website for their insurance details.
  5. if the University traveller is requested to return back to Australia as a consequence of advice received by the University from DFAT, International SOS or the approved Travel Consultant then the traveller is required to follow the instructions provided by either of those parties or by the Travel Officer or the Global Mobility Office. Travel bookings to facilitate that return will be organised on the traveller's behalf.
  6. the University traveller must follow any instructions or communications issued by the University associated with travel particularly as these may relate to alerts and warnings issued by International SOS or DFAT.

(36) If international travel has been approved to not be booked through the approved Travel Consultant, the University traveller will not receive automatic notification of DFAT advisory or warning messages and therefore the traveller will need to provide their full travel details prior to travel:

  1. to the Travel Officer at for all travellers (except students);
  2. to the Global Mobility Office at for students.

(37) If any changes to the University traveller's itinerary occur during travel, the University traveller must update their details on International SOS and advise the Travel Officer (staff only) or the Global Mobility Office (students only).

(38) If the University traveller needs to make a claim against the University's Travel Insurance, it must be submitted within 30 days of the date of the occurrence. If the 30 days expires while the University traveller is still away, the University traveller must complete the claim using the online resource from the Insurance for Staff or Insurance for Students websites or otherwise complete the claim upon return.

(39) The University traveller must collect and retain legible and valid tax invoices and receipts for all University credit card or reimbursable business expenses, including those where cash advances have been provided.

(40) The University traveller must contact their supervisor at least once during any international travel but preferably on a pre-arranged schedule.

(41) The University has agreements with a number of travel providers for the use of hire cars. (Details are available on the Travel Intranet). Where available, the lowest insurance excess must always be purchased when hiring a car during international travel.

(42) The University traveller may travel first/business class when using domestic rail travel on trips over three hours. International rail travel will be by economy class except in countries where safety is a concern. First class international rail travel requires prior approval of a Travel Approver.

(43) Airport shuttle services should, wherever possible, be used by University travellers between an airport and their home, place of work or place of accommodation.

Upon returning (reconciliation and reimbursement)

(44) Claims on the University Travel Insurance must be lodged with the Insurance Office within 30 days of the date of the occurrence in accordance with the requirements outlined in this Procedure and on the Insurance for Staff and Insurance for Students websites.

(45) A travel diary must be provided for all international travel and domestic travel of six nights or more. The travel diary must include dates of diary entry, places of activity, dates activity commenced, times activity commenced, duration of activity, nature of activity, and details of expenditure for which no receipt/invoice was obtained and which must be accompanied by a statuary declaration.

(46) Where the University traveller was required to keep a travel diary, they must submit this to within 14 days of completing the trip.

(47) The reimbursement of reasonable business-related travel expenses will be properly substantiated through the presentation of accurate records comprising original receipts or a statutory declaration. The definition of reasonable expenses and the process for reimbursement will occur in accordance with the requirements detailed on the Travel Intranet and the Business Expenses policy  for cases involving travel with a private vehicle.

(48) The University's preferred method of payment for incidental travel expenses is through corporate credit card. Where it is not possible to use a corporate credit card, the University traveller may use their personal credit card or cash. In all cases, the University requires that claimants provide original tax invoices and receipts as proof of payment when reconciling a corporate credit card or claiming reimbursable expenditure. A temporary corporate credit card can be provided for international travel if required. Temporary cards can be obtained through Deakin Finance.

(49) Staff members are to complete reconciliations and reimbursements in DeakinUniFi for approval.

(50) Where the University traveller is a student, they must prepare claims for any expenses that the University is requested to reimburse through their Faculty, Research area or Terra Dotta.

Reasonable period of acclimatisation

(51) Reasonable periods of acclimatisation can be counted as University travel for international travel only; however, this would generally be limited to one day associated with an inbound long-haul (greater than six hours) flight back into Australia and where the time zone difference is greater than four hours compared with the eastern seaboard of Australia.

Personal travel

(52) Personal travel may be permitted in conjunction with University travel provided approval for the personal travel has been obtained in writing from a Travel Approver prior to the commencement of travel and the absence is convenient to the Faculty or Portfolio. The University traveller must ensure that the University is only responsible for the business-related portion of the trip. For continuity purposes, insurance for personal travel is available through the University at the individual’s expense. Approvals for this type of travel must be retained by the University traveller.

(53) A partner or dependent may accompany a staff member on University travel provided they are on the same itinerary, the staff member has gained approval in writing for the accompanied travel from their Travel Approver prior to departure, and that the business of the University is not compromised. Approvals for this type of travel must be retained by the University traveller.

(54) The University will not fund travel expenses of any nature by a partner or dependent. Staff members are not permitted to change tickets to a lower class in order to fund their partner or dependent's travel, or to use the difference in cost for any other personal benefit.

Study tours

(55) Study tours should be sourced directly from the Study Tour provider or the approved Travel Consultant if the cost to be attributed to the University for the study tour is estimated to cost less than $30,000. If the cost to be attributed to the University is estimated to cost more than $30,000 in total, the tour must be sourced in accordance with the requirements of the Procurement policy (i.e. obtain three quotations). Two of the three quotations must be obtained from the Study Tour provider and the approved Travel Consultant.

Top of Page

Section 6 - Definitions

(56) For the purpose of this Procedure refer to definitions set out in the Travel policy and as follows:

  1. partner: a person who (regardless of sex or gender) lives in a relationship as a couple with another person on a genuine domestic basis. The definition also includes a former spouse or de facto partner of the staff member.